After the judgment

After the judgment

When a judgment has been delivered in the case, you will receive a copy of the judgment from the court.

Along with the judgment, you will also receive guidance on how to appeal. You are usually entitled to have your case heard in both the district court and the high court. If you disagree with the district court's decision, you may appeal against the decision and have the case brought before the high court. You will need permission from the Appeals Permission Board to appeal if you have been sentenced to less than 20 day penalties or a total fixed penalty of less than DKK 6.000. The prosecution service may also appeal the case to the high court.

You can file an appeal in your case by sending a letter to the prosecution service or the district court that heard your case. You cannot appeal by sending a letter to the high court. Your defence counsel and the district court can guide you on the appeal process.

The time limit for filing an appeal is within 14 days of the date the judgment was delivered.

If you have a defence counsel, he or she will advise you on the rules regarding appeals. Read more about the defence counsel's responsibilities. If you do not have a defence counsel, the court can provide guidance on the rules.

Compensation for deprivation of liberty, etc.

If the court finds that you are not guilty of the charge brought against you by the prosecution service, the court will acquit you.

When you are acquitted, you will be able to claim compensation in some situations, for example, if you have been arrested or remanded in custody. Read more about arrest and remand custody.

If the prosecution service has decided – after the investigation is completed – not to charge you formally, you may also be entitled to compensation.

You must file your claim for compensation within two months of the date the case against you was closed.

The prosecution service determines whether you are entitled to compensation. If you disagree with the prosecution service's decision, you can have the decision brought before a court.

Your defence counsel and the prosecution service can provide guidance as to your chances of being awarded compensation. Read more about the defence counsel.

Serving a sentence

If you are sentenced to imprisonment, you will be called to serve your sentence. 

The Prison and Probation Service will call you to serve your sentence.

The Prison and Probation Service will decide where you are to serve your sentence. In some situations, you will be able to serve your sentence at home with an electronic ankle tag. You will receive a letter informing you where you will serve your sentence. You will typically be notified at least one month before your sentence starts. 

You can find guidance on serving a sentence on the website of the Prison and Probation Service. The website also offers guidance for relatives of prisoners.