Reporting the crime

Reporting the crime

If you have been the victim of crime, you need to report it to the police.

You can report the crime by telephone, in writing (including email), or by going to a police station. You have to go to a police station in person if you have experienced sexual assault, violence, or other crimes against your person. The police may also take your report at the scene of the crime. If you have been the victim of certain types of theft, such as bicycle theft or vandalism, you can report this on the police's website.

It is important to report the crime as soon as possible after it was committed. It is a good idea to write down your experiences right after they happen – for example, what was said or done, or a description of the perpetrator.

You are not required to report the crime to the police, but it may be necessary if you want compensation for the injury or loss you sustained as a result of the offence. In cases where you have been injured, such as cases of violence, you are normally only eligible for compensation under the Victims Compensation Act if you reported the crime to the police within 72 hours of the incident.

You can read more about compensation under the Victims Compensation Act here